Jun 2, 2008

Dear Mrs. Clinton:

May I call you Hillary? It's all over your signs, so I am guessing that you don't mind being addressed by your first name. I notice most of your supporters do, in fact, refer to you as "Hillary" in conversation. It's a pretty good name, too, if I may say so, though I prefer it spelled with 1 "L" myself.

Perhaps I should get to my point. I'm writing to encourage you to go ahead and concede the race to your opponent, Mr. Obama. I know it might be difficult for you to read this coming from someone who should, theoretically, support you. I did support your husband, to the bitter end, I might add. I admired Bill's abilities as a statesman. Regardless of any personal indiscretions he may have committed, he did a remarkable job of advancing our country in the eyes of the international community. And I see that as increasingly the critical role for a president. Sure, there are other roles, but moral compass has long been tossed aside, arguably, it never really was part of the job. I've read in your book that you forgave Bill, and I have too.

Back to your candidacy though. Perhaps I should be one of your supporters, mother of 2 girls, feminist in my own right. I remember thrilling at the idea that a woman could be vice president back in the days of the Mondale/Ferraro ticket. That was before I reached voting age, so I couldn't do my part to help her. But I have to say that I have never quite embraced your campaign. I can't tell you exactly why. I suppose, had you clinched the nomination back in February or so, I could have come around to support you eventually. But now I find myself in the awkward position of feeling that you'd be more likely to find a Florida gator enjoying the cold snow of a Michigan winter than you'd find me casting my vote for you come November.

There's something rather ugly and petty about the way you've pressed forward with your campaign. I despise how you claim votes in 2 states that were sanctioned for holding primaries too early. Believe it or not, I live in one of those states, and I did not vote for you, but I went to the polls knowing full well my vote would not count. I believe many of us did. So knowing our votes would not count, I don't really care for my vote to count, and I certainly don't think it fair to count the votes of those who voted without the benefit of hearing what you and your opponents had to say to our state. I think it's ridiculous that you would claim a majority in Michigan when yours was the only name on the ballot, that's just rude! It would seem to me that all along Michigan was a pawn in your plans, you left your name on just so you could use it. Nothing seems further from democratic to me. Besides, you agreed along with the others that the delegates from Michigan and Florida would not be seated, you only changed your tune as you began to lose ground to Mr. Obama. Really, Mrs. Clinton, stop using Michigan voters as if they were yours to beat into submissive supporters as you please!

Frankly it looks downright desperate for you to be grasping at super delegates who have already pledged to Mr. Obama. Sure, some of them left your camp, but I think it's because they saw the sinking ship you were on and decided it was time to get off. At one point we might have called you "determined" but "desperation" is a much better term for the qualities you are now displaying. They've spoken their minds. If you clinch the nomination by bribing, er, I mean persuading, super delegates to flock to your side, is that really a nomination? It is not in my book. A win by any means is not a win befitting our next president.

How many voters, Mrs. Clinton, are like me? How many watch with horror as you grasp at slippery straw after straw, trying desperately to claw yourself into a race that is no longer yours? How many sit on the side thinking "wow, I could never vote for someone that desperate" as the days grow on? How many become so turned off by your insider politicking? How many are you winning over to Mr. McCain with your antics?

You must consider Mr. McCain in your formula, for it seems you have not. Each day you attempt to chip away at Mr. Obama is one less day you've spent gaining on Mr. McCain. Are you not aware that many of your potential supporters would also turn out for him? Were he to be in a race against a true conservative candidate, surely any number of "swing voters" or "moderate democrats" would be drawn to Mr. McCain. It's these kind of folks, those who wanted change, who likely propelled him to win his party's nomination. Do you not realize that you have already lost the battle against him by prolonging your fight with Mr. Obama?

Mr. Obama realizes it, surely he does. Have you noticed that lately he only praises you publicly and addresses his criticisms to Mr. McCain? Mr. Obama, it would seem, knows a thing or two about graciousness. He seems to have figured out how to look good in public. Perhaps you could take a lesson or two from him and publicly praise him for winning the nomination you have coveted so intensely it seems you won't allow someone to take it from you unless from you cold, dead hands. I hate to say it, but they might as well be just that. Your campaign has been cold and dead for far too long now, and you seem to be the only one who doesn't know that.

I'm sorry Mrs. Clinton, Hillary, but it's time to throw in the towel. Please, Hillary, for all that is decent and good about women in politics. For the hope of the future, for our daughters and our daughters' daughters, give up! We have much to be proud of this time around. We have a woman as Speaker of the House, and a nominating race come down to a man of color and a woman. We have come so far. Let it go. Otherwise, I'm afraid election day will find me staying home. I have voted in every election since I turned 18, even as a part of a generation who appeared clueless and apathetic when it came to politics. I voted in every election, yet if I must choose between you and Mr. McCain, I will not cast my vote. Wouldn't that truly be a race lost?

No comments: